Thursday, June 15, 2006

Finally getting around to talking about one of the BEST nights I've had in a while...



I'm not going to even bother apologizing for yet another long delay between posts...I'm a busy gal, no way around it! But I am trying!!

I WILL however apologize for these photos (and those on my Flikr page)...seriously, someone get me a decent digital camera will you??









So: a few weeks ago (!) I attended an incredibly cool and motivating event -Al Gore spoke at a Town Hall session in the city, and I managed to get 2 tickets for Mike and I before they were sold out! I was really psyched to go see this and the event lived up to all my expectations.

It’s important to note 2 things here: 1) Despite the overwhelmingly Democratic crowd, this forum was held not to discuss politics, but to discuss (yeah, promote, but so what?) "An Inconvenient Truth", as well as discuss issues surrounding the climate crisis and 2) This was NOT a forum where Al Gore waxed on about why he "lost" the 2000 election and why he is running again in 2008 (sadly for the crowd, and for me personally, he stated firmly that he is not going to run again, and he listed several reasons why which I'll get into on another blog post when I will be the one "waxing on" about the sorry state of corporate-owned media and how thats fucking our whole system....)

But I digress...back to the forum: in addition to Al (cowboy boots and all) the panel included 2 of the film's producers as well as an environmental scientists who has been working on issues surrounding the climate for over 30 years, and was sponsored by WIRED magazine. The speakers at the event were good, but Al (yeah, Al) was by far the most passionate of them all - he blamed (rightly) members of BOTH sides of the aisle for ignoring this issue for FAR too long, and much like the film, he gave the audience both reasons be freighted and reason to be hopeful - the damage has been done, no doubt, but we can all be a part of the solution.

Again, I encourage everyone to see this film - this isn’t about politics. It’s about taking responsibility so that NYC, Florida, California, and numerous other places you may want your kids to see when they grow up will still be there when they do....

HOW you ask???

Well, if you go HERE: http://www.climatecrisis.net you can get a ton of info, such as “Ten Things To Do” – easy ways we can all help out. I encourage you to do it - be a part of the solution!