sort of!
Probably the last thing you want to hear 5 days before a marathon is the following:"You have a respiratory infection".
Or how about this one: "It sounds painful when you breathe...".
Or the best one yet, after breathing in to an oversized inhaler for 5 minutes: "Your numbers are very bad".
First issue: bedside manner, please??
Second issue: WTF??
I mean, of course there's never a GOOD time to hear any of the above, but 5 days before the big race is an even less desirable moment than most...but this was just my luck today when I went to the doctor for what I thought was a mild chest cold (and what I knew deep down was something more), and she came back with all of the panic-inducing comments listed above.
Now, granted, there's MUCH worse news a doctor could give you (I wont even go there) and I am admitadly a bit dramatic when it comes to my health (I run to the doctor at the first sign of a new freckle and was once convinced I had Bird Flu), but after hearing how badly I failed those stupid inhaler tests in her office I burst into tears and found myself longing for the days when the worst things about going to the doctor was that her damn scale always had me 5 lbs heavier than the one in my bathroom!
I asked if I could still run my marathon this weekend. Yes, I was told, though I need to be sure to stuff myself with steroids this week (steroids??) and be inhaler-ready at the start line.
I think the Running Gods have just chosen to throw me this curve ball - mentally preparing for a freaking marathon isn't enough of a challenge apparently.
On we go...