Sunday, October 15, 2006

The Depahhhted.


This movie was wicked good (yes, I went there). Now don't get me wrong I am aware of the natural bias I may have...a movie about Irish guys from Boston (HOT Irish guys, at that) - I mean, I am THE target audience. However even those not dying to see Matt Damon with his shirt off would like this movie.

The story revolves around the inner workings of the Boston State Police Department's hunt to take down the city's most notorious Irish mobster, Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson). Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon, back in Good Will Hunting samhht-ass form) is a star within the department, manging to move up the ranks swiftly thanks in large part to the fact that he has been working for Costello since childhood. Sullivan is at odds with Ellerby and Dignam (Alec Bawldin and Mark Wahlberg, in a scene-stealing, hysterical, and all around kick-ass role) work in the undercover department of the office, where they have sent Billy Costigan (Leo DiCaprio...welcome back!) in to work as an associate of Costello's. While Sullivan is secretly working to catch the rat for Costello, Costigan is working to find the rat on the side of the cops - and oh yeah, both end up sleeping with the same woman (naturally).

The movie is a great popcorn movie - it suspenseful and fun and violent (its Martin Scorsese)and though it turns into a bit of a blood bath at the end, I loved the final bullet fired. This one is worth the price of admission!