Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Tunnel to Towers


THIS post I have been meaning to do for a while now, as this was easily one of the most meaningful things I have ever been a part of:

The Tunnel to Towers 5K road race is a race organized and run by the family of Steven Siller, an NYC Firefighter. Steven was a 34 year old native New Yorker, orphaned by age 10 and raised by his older siblings. He grew up from a difficult childhood to become a proud husband and father of 5, and he loved his job as a firefighter. On the morning on September 11 th, Steven was in his truck driving home from his fire house in Brooklyn, where he was just getting off his shift, and was getting ready to go play golf with his brothers. While driving he heard on the radio what was happening down at the World Trade Center, and he knew he needed to get to the scene and help. He turned his truck around, picked up his gear at his fire house, and drove to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to head into Manhattan. But seeing the traffic and chaos at the tunnel entrance Steven realized he couldn't get though with this truck, so he ditched his car on the side of the road, dressed in his nearly 70 lbs of gear and equipment, and ran 2 miles run though the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to get to the scene. Sadly, Steven was one of the 343 firefighters who died when the towers collapsed that day.

To honor Steven's efforts, and all those who died trying to help others that awful day, the Siller family organized this 5K race, from Brooklyn through the tunnel and down to the World Trade Center site, to re-trace his steps. The race is now in its 5th year and drew 15,000 runners this year. I ran with my friend Emily, and it was one of the most memorable 3 miles I have ever run. As we entered the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel the day of the race we were blown away but what we saw – running though the tunnel with us were firefighters from all 50 states as well as 40 from London who flew to Manhattan for the race. We saw Marines in their boots running in perfect formation through the tunnel, as well as other soldiers in full combat gear marching though. And we passed firefighters dressed in full gear and equipment running through the tunnel just as Steven did that day. It was extremely emotional, and about a mile into the tunnel my friend and I were choked up and sweating like crazy (15,000 people in a 2 mile tunnel = hot!) and then I looked up and saw an even more amazing sight: in front of us, lined up on the wall of the tunnel, were 343 NYC firefighters wearing silk-screened banners around their necks – each banners was picture of a fallen firefighter. And next to each standing firefighter was another with an American flag, again one for each fallen firefighter. Moved beyond belief, I ran over to that side of the tunnel and began giving high-five's and saying "thank you!" to each of the firefighters I passed.

And as I passed all those flags and shook the hands when I ran through the tunnel I of course thought not only of Steven and those who died on 9/11, but of my cousin, who was killed in Iraq in 2003, and how like Steven he was such a hero who died doing his duty, trying to help others.

The world is a very scary and very sad place at times, espeically it seems in these times. But this race was not about sadness, but about pride, and it was a true honor to be a part of it.

To learn more: http://www.tunneltotowersrun.org/

Pictures are on Flikr!