Tuesday, February 06, 2007

So long, my daily dose of m&ms....


Today is Day #1 of my (attempt at) eating no refined sugar. After living (nearly) 30 years with the curse of an incurable sweetooth, I have decided to try once and for all to kick the habit. My running hero Dean Karnazes (I've blogged about him a number of times) kicked the habit when he got serious about running...if Dean did it, I need to at least try it!

I'm not kidding myself that this will be easy and I'm also not planning to be a purist - cake on my birthday is mandatory. But I DID manage to kick the Diet Coke habit cold-turkey (I now have maybe 1 can per day and usually don't even finish it...it actually doesn't TASTE good! Who knew?) so I figure I will apply my learning's from that experience to those one: gut out a few days of hell, followed by a few weeks of pure white-knuckle-sobriety, and hopefully around week 6 begin to realize I CAN live without it....

I plan to blog about the process to help me through the weak moments - and with m&ms COVERING my office, there will be a few....