President Bush managed today to actually publicly prove that he believes himself to be above the law - so for those who questioned his ethics before, well, I suppose this is a day of vindication for us...vindication and a certain level of disgust as well.
White House hits back over Libby reprieve
President Bush yesterday fuelled anger over his decision to spare Lewis “Scooter” Libby from jail by hinting that he could yet issue a full pardon for the former White House aide.
Amid growing criticism from Democrats over the announcement, which ensures that Vice-President Dick Cheney’s former chief of staff will not serve a day of his 30-month prison term, Mr Bush defended his “considered judgment” that the punishment was severe.
He said that it was “the right decision to make and I stand by it”. Mr Bush, when asked if he was keeping the door open to a later pardon, he replied: “I rule nothing in and nothing out”......
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2022706.ece