Thursday, April 20, 2006

If JJ Did It So Will I

So I was reading an interview today with JJ Abrams (in honor if last nights spectacular return of Alias…Bravo, JJ). The interview included a questionnaire and so I thought I’d fill it out for myself and post it, just in case anyone out there actually cares what my morning routine is…

Personal hero: 1St Lt. Brian M. McPhillips. He had more courage and more conviction at age 25 than most people have in a full lifetime.

What's always by my bed: a small stack of books-of-the-moment I’m trying to get through, my journal, my cell phone

My retreat: My running sneakers

My greatest hits: A few B&W photos from my trip from Spain and photgraphy classes I’ve taken

Morning routine: I wake up around 6AM, hit snooze a few times, and try to head out the door for my run between 6:30 – 7 depending on how far I’m going. Then I rush through my shower, blow dry if I have time, and leave the house in a whirlwind inevitably forgetting something (my watch, usually). I try to be at my desk just before 9AM.

Favorite item of clothing: My "skinny jeans"…the days I can fit into those are priceless.

Greatest strength as a writer: …um….?

Greatest weakness as writer: …sigh….

What's always in the refrigerator: Water, Gatorade, and fruit or bread that’s usually fermenting

Favorite food: Mexican

Collections: Hmm...I don’t have any actual collections other than books, I guess. My house has been overrun by them.

Best thing about robots: They do what I tell them to do. Like everyone should.

Best "Lost" memento: (I still haven’t gotten into this show)

Best "Alias" memento: The birthday card my work friends made me with a collage of Alias pictures and the phrase I live by, "What Would Sydney Do?", on the top

Best movie-star gift: Well not a movie star…but Debbie Gibson gave me a hug and an autograph when I was in 5th grade which was the highest high by 11 year old self had ever know.

What I'm always asked at parties: "How is it possible you’re THIS hot?" (Obviously).

Always with me: Something to read

Favorite place in house: Well in my fabulously tiny NYC apartment, the options are less than abundant…however I’d say my favorite place is the insanely tiny bathroom because of the women-on-water-skis shower curtain accented by hot pink towels and a toilet so tiny people wonder how Mike even fits…

Hobbies: running, movies, reading, blogging, photography, politics, museums, taking classes, travel, art, languages, friends, family…

Obsession: See “Hobbies”

Best recent gift: I recently bought myself a birthday present of a ridiculously expensive running watch with every bell and whistle imaginable (actually, I should have listed THAT under “Obsessions”…)

Fitness routine: Run, run, run…hit the gym out of guilt from the $80/month I spend to belong there, realize I hate working out inside, and run some more.

Talent I covets: People who can exist on 4 hours of sleep a night…I don’t know if that qualifies as a “talent” but I covet it! Sleeping is my petpeeve.

Evening routine: Leave work around 6:30 if I am a lucky girl that day. Head out to one of my classes, go out with friends, or go home where I may meet up with Mike, order take out, and catch up on my DVR or my book club book or do work for my classes or blog...(I am rarely bored).

Greatest misconception about my life: That I have my shit together.

Movie I've seen most: "Sliding Doors," simply because of my lifelong obsession with Gwyneth Paltrow. And “Reality Bites”, which I can recite verbatim on the spot…(I spent a lot of time alone in my 20’s)

Book I've read most: Hmm..tough one, I don’t like re-reading books, there’s just too many out there on my To Do list. Most recently? I read Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes (see the post below) and Prep by Cutis Sittenfeld which was a chore.

Household chore I'm most fastidious about: Laundry. I’m a runner so I end up doing a LOT of laundry or else my tiny apartment would smell like a locker room rather quickly.

Obsolete item I won't part with: My George Bush Countdown Clock…its hanging on my desk at work and its get me through some dark moments. Only 1,005 days to go….

Travel routine: Spend 3 hrs. packing and then get to the airport 2 hours early to drop a ton of cash on Starbucks and magazines while I wait for the plane that is always delayed.

Travel nightmare: 6 hr delayed flight from Paris last month…that was a nightmare. Fears about traveling? Not really – once I’m up in the air its out of my hands anyway, so why worry?

Superstition: Bull shit.

Procrastination technique: Oh GOD…THIS stuff for one, random lists and questionnaires.
Blogging is probably my biggest procrastination technique.

Biggest self-indulgence/guilty pleasure: Beer.

Gadget I can't live without: That running watch I keep bringing up...

Prized possession: There’s a photo next to my bed of me, my sister and my cousin Brian when we were little and playing at the pool. We have our arms around each other like the Three Musketeers and my sister has that kind of pot-belly that only little kids can have. It’s the best picture and its my “what would you grab in a fire” thing.

What I drive: Drive? Its NYC…no driving needed.

Next big purchase: Oooh I have a list…this cool aqua colored bookcase I’ve had my eye on for months, an ipod with more storage space, a manual digital camera, a new lap top for home

Historical figure I'd like to meet: Dean Karnazes (he’s not historical yet…but he will be)…or JFK, to be obvious but truthful.