Friday, April 14, 2006

Ultramarathon Man

While I was on my vacation recently - eating and drinking (and drinking and eating) my way through Europe - I spent a number of nights up until all hours reading a book that has quickly become my newest obsession.

OBSESSION.


Now - I consider myself to be a moderately serious runner at this point, but it never crossed my mind to do an unltramarathon (which is defined as any race further than a 26.2 miles) ...and I'm not saying I will do one tomorrow - but I can't lie, this book got me seriously considering it!

This man is truly amazing and yet he's also a "regular guy" - a husband, dad, and until recently held a 9 - 5 like the rest of us...he just runs a lot. A LOT. Like, 200 mile races. 7 times. Marathons to the South Pole. And this fall he is attempting to run 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days.

Its sounds insane, I know, and freakish even. But honestly, I am really loving this guy and his message. His belief is that the human body can do WAY more than we all think it can - that what stops us is psychological and not physiological - and I really believe that as well. (seriously, if I hear one more person tell me running is not good for you I may lose it..."Its bad on your knees"..."Its too hard on the body"..."People weren't meant to run that much"...Not meant to run that much? Ok, well, was the body meant to order bring-it-to-your-door meals or remote-control your evenings away?).

Even if you can't stand running you would like this book - you can't put it down, because he manages to be very relateable even with this crazy hobby of running all night long. His critics say its an act, he's not "the best" out there, or that he's only getting attention because he happens to be good looking and therefore is "media-friendly". I don't care about any of that - its inspiring, whatever he's doing, no matter how he's doing it. Its also delivering well deserved and much overdue press to the running world. Fianlly.

Can't blog anymore...must go run. Far.