Thursday, June 21, 2007

I'll take 2...I'm not sure why.

(Advanced Warning: there is a soap box in front of me and I am about to jump on it):
 
So as some of you know I am taking a few different classes lately about environmental issues and sustainable development, and have become pretty passionate about these issues the more I read and learn about the impact we're all having on the world around us - not only on the natural resources on Earth, but on the people who are impacted by how we, in wealthy nations, live our lives. More and more I think that as a citizen in the country that is the biggest contributor to global warming, and as a relatively "affluent" person voting with my dollar day in and day out, the responsibility on my shoulders to make responsible changes and choices in what I eat, where I live, where I work, how I spend my time, and how I spend my income is larger than most.  
 
Given that, I have been thinking a lot lately about consumerism, and the culture of consuming in which we live. Everything is about buying more, getting more, consuming more. There is an uncountable amount of money spent annually to make sure that YOU Mr/Ms American Consumer be well aware that you NEED that new flat screen TV, new cellphone that had 3000 kinds of rings, new teeny tiny ipod, new jeans that Celebrity X looked good in in last week's US Weekly...you get the point.  
 
And yet - we all know logically that buying new shoes won't make you a happier person - consumerism is just that, you CONSUMING, not giving, not helping, not contributing...

Sorry to ramble here and I am not sure where I am going with this - its late at night and I just finished an assignment for a class and therefore this was on the top of my mind - I guess the point is simply that while I am not suggesting we all give up our worldy goods and go live on a commune, it may do some good for us all to just stop before that next impulse buy and ask "Why am I getting this item..? What purpose is this serving?"

Imagine the good that could come if we all just had less CRAP.

To that end, I'll just point out this website which was highlighted in GOOD magazine this month - I think it speaks volumes (my apologies in advance to the good-hearted suits at the GAP):

www.buylesscrap.org