Sometimes taking all the classes I do overwhelms me – not because of the work necessarily but because it makes me realize how much stuff I don’t know anything about but should, or how much I know so little about its just really embarrassing...I actually have running lists of the things I at the very least need to Wikipedia just to get a basic idea about...just taking notes of my latest paper on the train this weekend I realized I need to research the following topics/events/people as I know so little about them its making me like somewhat of a fraud for calling myself "educated” – honestly, I feel wholly ignorant sometimes:
• Henry Kissinger
• Winston Churchill
• The Iran-Contra Affair
• Who – exactly – owns the US mainstreamed media (I know there is a reason we never see coverage of Darfur on the news, and I know that that reason is at least partly b/c our news is owned by those who benefit from Big Oil and Big Oil wants to get into the Sudan’s reserves….but how its all tied together and those specifically involved eludes me).
• Nicholas Kristof – I keep reading about him and his work but haven’t stopped to actually read anything BY him.
• Somalia
• Halliburton
• Canada. (Seriously.)