Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Shanghai Night(mare)


Well not quite a nightmare, more just a rough day at the office (a combination of difficult peers, a challenging project, too many late night and early calls w/ my NYC team, very little sleep, and more food with faces was all making me much more sensitive about work then necessary, I think and just made for a rough day, the first "bad day" I've had here....) I am really focusing on trying not to let it taint my feelings on Shanghai b/c I actually was happily surprised by this city - I love it here! After hearing/reading not so great things about it (dirty, crowded, polluted) I took it off the vacation itinerary but ended up coming here for work last minute - so glad that I did! This is actually a really cool city and I'm glad to have seen it, if only for a few days.



Yeah, its dirty (but I live in the cesspool known as NYC so that doesn't phase me), crowded (I'm used to it after Beijing!), polluted (what Chinese city isn't??). But it is also really stunning - its much more like NYC than Beijing in terms of the lay out - tall buildings, mass transport, by the river, etc. But the buildings are all so unique and interesting looking, and the city is totally lit up at night and really stunning (needlessly-energy-draining, but stunning none the less...)



I'm so glad to have been able to come here, meet more of the China team, and see this place!

Plus my hotel was the SICKEST one I have ever stayed in!!! These pics don't do it justice but to try and give you some idea:









More updates from my home base of Beijing tomorrow!!