Friday, January 04, 2008

And Still More Movies....

Between the holidays and the bitter cold weather I've been returning to my old way of life: seeing every movie I can every chance I have. It feels good - I've forgotten how much I really just love films and (another) resolution of mine in 2008 is now to ensure I keep up this old/new hobby....

The Savages



This is a biting dramady about grown children coping with that awful question we are all dreading, "What do we do with mom/dad when they can't care for him/herself anymore....?" In the case of the Savages, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney are a brother-sister duo struggling with their personal lives when suddenly their elderly, absentee father's care falls into their laps. They are forced to examine not only wounds of the past but to determine how to get by them to deal with the practical issues of the present. While it lags in the middle, this one is still good and worthy of mention mainly due to the strong performances by Hoffman and Linney (who I learned to love after she was in another brother/sister film which is among my all-time favorites, "You Can Count On Me"). If you're lacking for something to do and have already seen the season's highlights (see below!) then this is a good choice.