Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Fast

The last few weeks (months?) have been pretty blah overall – the winter blues really suck, and part of the sucking has involved me falling into bad habits health-wise….just been eating pretty poorly (lots of sugar, processed foods, and just crap in general) which ahs just been making me feel gross, lethargic, and totally unmotivated to run (which as bad as I am mid-marathon training!). But its also a tough habit to break once I start it (I love myself a daily does of candy…. well, multiple doses). So in a moment of total downerness last week I was looking online for something to get me motivated to get back on the healthy bandwagon I so severely have fallen off of recently, and I came across a 5 day, deliver-to-your-door, raw/organic/vegan “fast” meant to “detoxify your system” and do all sorts of other magical things to make you feel better about life….so I got totally suckered in and proceeded to drop more cash than I can afford on this week-long splurge in the name of my mental and physical well being (or to steal a phrase from Mike, “The New (Wo)Man Plan - 2008”). I hesitated to blog about this initially (I kept a journal instead) but so far the experience has been really positive so I figured I would share it here. So here’s how its gone so far…..



The Fast: Day 1

With the holiday, I’m not at work today so its not a “typical” day, but so far so good I guess. The delivery came to my door this morning in a cute bag, all my food for the day in cool little bottles, and it was hard not to get excited about this project. I did a shot of this green/blue Elixir stuff this AM followed by some OJ – easy enough. I headed out for a run and ate ½ a banana before going (not on the plan, but still a raw, vegan food, and I think the only way I’ll really be able to stick w/ this this week, given all of the running I need to do, is to add in additional food on my own so that I don’t starve myself and then fall head first into a bag of M&Ms out of a desperate need for calories!). I was so hungry on my run, but had more banana and the Green Veggie drink (surprisingly really good) a few strawberries when I got back and felt better….and the rest of the day was really not so tough! I ate extra fruit when I was hungry, chocked down the tomato gazpacho soup (uhhhg), and actually really loved the coconut smoothie!

Off to a good start!